- NTSB recommends reducing legal threshold for driving under the influence
Federal authorities are considering reducing the legal blood alcohol limit for drivers in an attempt to reduce the number of fatal injuries and crashes that can be attributed to driving drunk
- Fatal crash after party in Pennsylvania remains under investigation
Local law enforcement officers and accident lawyers in Indiana County, Pennsylvania, investing a fatal crash on May 5 believe that toxicology reports will provide the answers needed
- Seven-time DUI driver charged with vehicular homicide
Local law enforcement officials in Pennsylvania have confirmed that a DUI driver arrested after a fatal crash with a motorcyclist will be charged with vehicular homicide
- Head of Roman Catholic church in Worcester, Massachusetts, arrested for DUI
Police officers in Rhode Island have confirmed that the head of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Worcester, Massachusetts, was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol after being reportedly involved in a hit and run crash on May 4
- Texas tops list for drunk driving deaths
Driving while under the influence of alcohol in Texas is on the verge of becoming an epidemic, in the opinion of impacted residents and regional accident attorneys
- DUI driver pleads not guilty in death of 70-year-old homeless cyclist
Accident attorneys in Palm Springs, California have confirmed that a man accused of fatally injuring a cyclist while under the influence of alcohol has pleaded not guilty to police charges
- Tanker hit by DUI driver in Delaware
Police officers and accident lawyers in Middleton, Delaware, have advised that a 21-year-old man who crashed his vehicle into a tanker truck was reportedly driving under the influence of alcohol
- Survey revealed teen drivers unfazed about driving under the influence
With the end of the school year fast approaching, high school students will be thinking about the twin celebrations of graduation and the annual prom
- Washington lawmakers work out new DUI bill
Members of the Seattle State Congress struck a tentative deal on Sunday when discussing plans to reconfigure the state's DUI laws, however many say the bill will need significant changes before it becomes a law.
- Off-duty police officer charged with DUI
Police officers in New York City have confirmed that an off-duty colleague was responsible for a crash on April 21 that damaged two parked cars in Brooklyn
- Legislators in Washington State consider tougher DUI laws
State legislators and traffic officials in Washington State are debating whether to toughen up the state's DUI laws after two recent accidents that fatally injured three people and left an infant in critical condition
- DUI truck driver kills four family members in fatal collision
Police officers and accident lawyers in San Antonio, California believe that a fatal crash between an 18-wheeler and a SUV was caused by the driver of the rig operating under the influence of alcohol
- Teen DUI driver had escaped from alcohol guidance center
Police officers and accident lawyers investigating a fatal accident in Nevada have confirmed that a teenage driver arrested on suspicion of DUI was a fugitive
- 18-year-old student killed by DUI driver
Police officers in Lakeville, Massachusetts, have confirmed that the driver of a vehicle that killed an 18-year-old student on March 30 was driving under the influence of alcohol
- Drunk driver arrested in police parking lot
Police officers in Cohasset, Massachusetts, were able to make one of easiest DUI arrests of the year after a driver pulled into the parking lot of the station to relieve himself on Easter Sunday
- DUI driver sends himself and two passengers to hospital
An alleged drunk driver who caused serious injury to both himself and two passengers in a single-vehicle accident on March 24 is facing a number of charges, according to police officers in Walworth County, Wisconsin
- DUI driver hits building in fatal crash
A 27-year-old woman is facing multiple DUI charges after she drove her car into a building in Indianapolis on March 24, fatally injuring two passengers and sending three others to hospital
- DUI driver hits five vehicles as young son "rides shotgun"
Police officers in Englewood, New Jersey, are investigating a series of accidents on March 21 that they believe can be attributed to one drunk driver
- DUI driver in Arkansas arrested after failed toy truck escape
Police officers and accident lawyers in Arkansas have confirmed that a 28-year-old woman who tried to escape from the scene of a DUI incident on a battery-powered toy truck will face a number of charges
- Incarcerated DUI driver sues for 'emotional distress'
A convicted drunk driver currently serving a 40-year sentence for his part in a fatal crash in 2010 is suing the bars that served him alcohol as well as the friend he was drinking with
- Major league baseball prospect arrested for DUI
Local law enforcement officers in Fort Myers, Florida, have confirmed that a prospective pitcher for the Boston Red Sox was arrested for DUI during the team's recent training camp
- Sobbing college student asked to be arrested for DUI
A private college student who was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol has been given a 60-day license suspension, following a plea from accident lawyers for a lenient sentence
- South Carolina police crack down on DUI laws
A bill is currently making it through the South Carolina state government that would hike up the consequences for drivers who are found guilty of drunk driving, which police officers say would help keep the streets safer.
- High school program highlights real risks of DUI
Students at a high school in Riverside County, California, will be actively involved in a three-hour demonstration of the dangers of drunk driving as part of a nationwide campaign to raise awareness
- DUI driver arrested on stranger's couch
An Illinois driver who had been paroled following a fatal DUI crash in 1999 has been arrested again after he was found sitting on a stranger's couch
- Drunk driver in Arizona held on super extreme DUI charges
Police officers and accident lawyers in Flagstaff, Arizona, have confirmed that a driver was arrested on super extreme DUI charges after he hit a parked patrol car
- Colorado may step up DUI enforcement with stricter laws
Colorado drivers may soon see higher enforcement of drunk driving laws, and the consequences of breaking these laws are expected to be much greater in the near future.
- EMTs fatally injured in Indianapolis crash
Police officers in Indianapolis investigating a fatal collision between a car and an ambulance will review the results of a toxicology report before deciding the fate of the female driver involved
- Three-car accident involves two DUI drivers
Police officers and accident lawyers investigating a three-car accident in Rancho Mirage, California, believe that two of the drivers may have been operating under the influence of alcohol
- State DUI laws come under federal spotlight
The Federal Highway Administration (FHA) has told a significant number of states that funding may have to be diverted away from road and bridge construction and directed toward highway safety programs
- DUI driver failed to tell police about fatal crash
Police officers and accident attorneys in Lyons, Illinois, have confirmed that a drunk driver found wandering along a highway has been charged with aggravated DUI involving death
- Fatal crash in Sacramento sends aspiring model to jail
An aspiring model from Sacramento, California, is facing charges of vehicular manslaughter, driving under the influence of alcohol and child endangerment after a fatal crash in the early hours of February 3
- DUI driver crashes into funeral home
Police officers and accident lawyers in Concord, New Hampshire, have confirmed that a woman who crashed into a funeral home will be charged with driving while under the influence of alcohol
- Country superstar gets two-year probation for DUI crash
Local law enforcement officers and accident attorneys in Texas have confirmed that Randy Travis will be sent to jail if he breaks a two-year probation imposed for drunk driving
- By any means necessary, DUI driver steals ambulance in attempt to get home
Police officers in Boaz, Alabama, have arrested a DUI driver who stole an ambulance after being admitted for treatment following a drunk driving accident.
- DUI driver involved in 17-car hit and run spree
Police officers and accident lawyers in Georgia are still trying to work out how many cars were involved in a drunk driving incident that covered two counties and fatally injured one individual.
- Police officers in Biloxi recreate fatal crash on down ramp
Police officers investigating a fatal accident in Biloxi, Mississippi, are to close down the part of the highway on which it occurred.
- Dallas Cowboys star uninjured in DUI crash
Less than two months after a Dallas Cowboy football player was killed in a DUI incident involving an impaired teammate, police officers in Texas have revealed that another player was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Fifteen-year-old driver arrested in DUI crash
Police officers investigating an early morning crash in Reno arrested a 15-year-old driver who they allege was operating under the influence of alcohol.
- Teenage DUI crash results in power outage
Police officers in San Mateo, California, investigating a crash involving two teenage drivers on January 16 believe alcohol was a major factor.
- Alleged DUI driver knocks out power to residents after crash
Police officers investigating an accident that knocked out power to residents in Rancho Bernardo, California, on January 8 believe that it may have been caused by a DUI driver.
- Illinois woman jailed after huffing-induced crash
A 20-year-old Illinois woman who passed out behind the wheel of her car after deliberately inhaling the fumes of a cleaning product has been sent to jail for five years.
- DUI driver charged with 59 felonies in fatal crash
Accident attorneys in New York investigating a two-car crash in December that fatally injured two teenagers and critically injured two others have confirmed that the driver allegedly responsible has been charged with 59 traffic felonies.
- Acquitted DUI driver fatally injured in single-vehicle crash
Police officers in Davenport, Florida, investigating a single-vehicle accident on January 4 have advised that the driver has succombed to his injuries.
- Serial DUI offender crashes into house
Police officers investigating an accident in Utah have arrested a serial DUI offender after he crashed his truck into a house and fled the scene.
- New Year starts with a bang for Virginia businessman
Police officers in Chesterfield, Virginia, started their New Year's Eve duties early this year after being called to investigate an early evening DUI accident at a local business.
- AAA expresses concern for driver safety on January 1
With the holiday season in full swing, police officers and traffic officials are warning drivers to take extra care on New Years Day, traditionally the deadliest day of the year on the roads.
- Elderly woman killed in street racing accident
Police officers investigating a fatal crash on Christmas Day in West Covina, California, believe that a combination of street racing and alcohol were contributing factors.
- DUI motorist stopped after running car on flat tires
Police officers in Okaloosa County, Florida, have confirmed that a driver arrested for his third DUI offense will face a number of related charges.
- Off-duty police officer involved in DUI crash
Police officers in San Diego are investigating a DUI crash that may involve one of their colleagues.
- Repeat DUI offender pleads guilty to charge of vehicular manslaughter
Police officers in Lake Elsinore, California, have confirmed that a drunk driver who was responsible for the death of a teenage motorist has pleaded guilty to DUI charges brought against her.
- Tow truck driver killed in DUI crash
Police officers and accident lawyers investigating the death of a tow truck driver in Signal Hill, California, have confirmed that he was hit by a drunk motorist as he gave roadside assistance.
- Career criminal arrested for DUI manslaughter in Florida
Police officers in Sarasota, Florida, have arrested a career criminal for DUI after he fled the scene of a fatal accident on December 7.
- Fatal crash in Texas claims life of Dallas Cowboys player
Police officers in Texas investigating the death of a Dallas Cowboys player in a car accident have confirmed that he was travelling in a vehicle being driven by a driver allegedly under the influence of alcohol.
- Rhode Island crash nets three DUI arrests
A female driver who fell asleep at the wheel and drove into a utility pole was the catalyst for a number of DUI-related arrests in East Providence, Rhode Island.
- Teenage driver crashes into fire hydrant, floods local store
Police officers investigating a car crash in El Cajon, California, that flooded a business premises believe that the teenage driver may have damaged other property beforehand.
- DUI driver to spend no more than 15 years in prison after accident
A drunk driver from Texas who was involved in a serious summer accident in Boulder, Colorado, will spend no more than fifteen years in prison after pleading to seven charges relating to the crash.
- Police rescue DUI driver dangling over Oregon highway
Police officers in Oregon who were called to rescue a driver who crashed his truck through an overpass guard rail have revealed that he had driven with a blood alcohol concentration six times higher than the state limit.
- Texas resident arrested for DUI in California after mailbox crash
Police officers in Riverside County, California, have charged a 48-year-old woman with driving under the influence of alcohol after she drove into four mailboxes.
- Polarizing university study finds that alcohol can limit patient mortality
Injured drivers or passengers who have alcohol in their bloodstream when admitted to hospitals are less likely to die, according to a study by the University of Illinois.
- Husband and wife arrested for DUI after bizarre traffic incident
Police officers in Laurel, Montana, investigating an unusual traffic accident on November 17 have confirmed that a husband and wife were both arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol.
- DUI driver crashes into bakery
Police officers and accident lawyers in Pittsburgh are investigating a suspected case of DUI after a vehicle crashed into a bakery on November 19.
- Off-duty police officer killed in DUI crash
Police officers in California are continuing to investigate a fatal car crash that killed an off-duty Sutter County sheriff's deputy who was a passenger in the vehicle.
- Death of ten-year-old boy blamed on drunk driver
Police officers and accident attorneys are still investigating a crash on November 3 in Los Banos, California, that fatally injured a 10-year-old boy.
- Serial DUI offender in North Carolina fatally injures man providing roadside assistance
Police officers in North Carolina have arrested a driver with repeated DUI convictions after a tow truck driver was fatally injured while providing roadside assistance on November 4.
- Teenage driver fatally injured by repeat DUI offender
Police officers and accident lawyers are investigating a fatal crash in Bakersfield, California, that killed a teenage motorist after her vehicle was hit by a suspected DUI driver
- California driver fatally injured by teenage driver on probation
Police officers and accident lawyers in Santa Ana, California, are appealing for witnesses to come forward as they investigate a fatal car crash on October 21.
- Mother of three-year-old boy killed in California crash may have been DUI
Police officers in California are investigating a vehicle crash that fatally injured a 3-year-old boy, with the mother suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Teenage driver in Florida charged with fatally injuring 53-year-old triathlete
Police officers in Florida have arrested a teenage driver on charges of leaving the scene of a fatal hit-and-run that killed a 53-year-old cyclist
- North Carolina couple awarded $1.7 million in DUI crash case
A North Carolina couple who lost their unborn baby when a drunk driver crashed into their car have been awarded $1.7 million in damages, even though the driver was fatally injured in the 2010 accident
- DUI driver in Florida involved in numerous incidents before fatal crash
Police officers and accident lawyers investigating a series of crashes that ended with one fatality in Florida committed by the same driver have charged him with driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Massachusetts driver charged with killing his father in crash
Police officers and accident lawyers investigating a driver who doesn't remember the Massachusetts car crash that fatally injured his father have charged him with DUI and motor vehicle homicide
- Diplomat crashes into tree, claims immunity
Police officers and accident lawyers are investigating an incident in Florida after a diplomat crashed into a tree and claimed immunit
- Driving under the influence not cool for teenagers
The number of teenagers who drive under the influence of alcohol has apparently halved since 1991, according to a recently released study.
- Delaware man swerves to avoid elephant in road
A serial drunk driver in Delaware has blamed an elephant for his latest DUI arrest, which occurred after his car hit a guardrail on Interstate 295 on September 28.
- U.S. Supreme Court to hear DUI blood-sample case
Law enforcement officials and accident lawyers will be waiting to see which way the U.S. Supreme Court rules in a DUI saga that has dragged on for nearly two years
- Michigan teen ignores stop sign while under the influence of alcohol
Police officers in Elgin, Michigan, have charged a teenager with two counts of DUI after he ignored a traffic sign and crashed into another vehicle
- Social network comment lands DUI driver in jail
A Kentucky driver who posted a comment on a social media site after being arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol in July has spent a weekend in jail after a judge failed to see the funny side
- Las Vegas drunk driver faces eighty years in prison
A drunk driver that crashed into a crowd of people standing at a Las Vegas bus stop could face up to eighty years in prison for alcohol-impaired manslaughte
- 24-hour access to alcohol can contribute to all-day DUI
For police officers and accident lawyers across the country, dealing with drivers who operate under the influence of alcohol as the sun goes down is part of their daily routine.
- Michigan sees increase in super drunk drivers
The number of drivers arrested by police officers in Michigan for DUI offenses may be declining, but blood-alcohol levels in those charged are significantly higher than the state legal limit,
- Illinois driver registered BAC limit four times higher than legal state maximum
An Illinois driver who was arrested with a blood alcohol limit four times the legal state limit for operating a vehicle was lucky that he only drove into a ditch,
- Labor Day weekend in Brazil, Indiana, passes with no DUI fatalities
Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over, the high-profile national safety campaign, has been hailed as a success by traffic officials and accident lawyers in Brazil, Indiana
- Ohio motorist charged with DUI after crashing into sobriety checkpoint
With the summer winding down and a national DUI campaign coming to an end, local law enforcement officials in Scioto County, Ohio, are considering the introduction of random sobriety checkpoints throughout the region
- Restaurants may be forced to ban shift drinks for employees
Restaurants that allow staff to consume alcohol after finishing their shifts could find that the potential consequences far outweigh the social aspect
- Drive sober campaign making mark in California
Law enforcement agencies in California are stepping up their efforts to crack down on alcohol impaired drivers as the 'Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over' initiative prepares for the Labor Day Weekend
- Nationwide DUI campaign aims to get tough over Labor Day weekend
Local law enforcement officials across the country will be cracking down on drunk drivers as part of an 18-day national campaign to reduce the number of fatal injuries directly attributed to impaired driving
- Wisconsin drunk driver faces two years of prison
Traffic officers and accident lawyers in Laramie, Wisconsin, are hoping that a custodial sentence imposed on a habitual drunk driver may motivate him to stop operating a vehicle under the influence of alcoho
- Church suspends priest arrested for driving naked under the influence of alcohol
A local priest in Dearborn, Illinois, has been suspended by the Catholic Church after he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol
- Underage drunk driver destroys three trucks and brings down a power line in Utah
An allegedly intoxicated underage driver in Utah who managed to crash his vehicle into three trucks, destroy a fence and bring down a power line has been charged with driving under the influence of alcohol
- Washington D.C. introduces new drink-driving laws
Drivers that operate vehicles under the influence of alcohol in Washington D.C. could find themselves looking for an accident attorney or spending time in jail after stringent new anti-DUI laws came into effect on August
- Convenience store worker survives near-death experience
A woman who drove her vehicle through the wall of a Texas convenience store on July 30 may have been operating under the influence of alcohol, according to local law enforcement officers
- Five fatally injured in Pasco County crashes
Police officers are investigating two crashes in Pasco County, Florida, that occurred on August 5 and fatally injured five people, including a one-year-old baby
- Freeway workers killed after early morning drunk driving crash
Police officers and accident lawyers investigating a vehicle accident in Torrance, California, that was responsible for the death of two freeway construction workers believe that drunk driving may have played a par
- Drive-through alcohol sales should be banned, says senator
States that allow drive-through convenience stores to sell beer, wine and frozen alcoholic drinks to drivers may not be breaking the law but could be indirectly responsible for drink driving incidents
- New Mexico driver charged with intoxicated manslaughter after fatal crash
The driver of a Ford F-250 truck that caused a fatal crash in Montana Vista, New Mexico, has been charged with five counts of intoxicated manslaughter,
- California Highway Patrol arrest NFL player for DUI
Football fans may love to watch a speedy running back weave his way through opposition defenses but law enforcement officials and accident attorneys would prefer not to see that skill demonstrated behind the wheel of a car
- NBA star charged with DUI
Basketball is a game that encourages aggressive driving toward the hoop but the New York Knicks will be concerned that their latest signing has made headlines for the wrong reasons
- Massachusetts officials looking to close loophole in Melanie's Law
A significant number of drivers with numerous drunk-driving convictions are still legally allowed to drive on the roads in Massachusetts, despite the existence of a state law designed to revoke licenses for repeat offenders
- Serial drink-driver charged with seventh offense
A man in New Mexico has been charged with his seventh drunk-driving offense after his vehicle was involved in a number of incidents on the same evening, according to local law enforcement officials
- DUI driver who caused a fatal crash will not be charged with murder
A twenty-four-year-old female driver from Port Angeles, Washington, who was found to be three times over the legal blood-alcohol limit when she caused a fatal accident will not be charged with first degree-murder
- Minnesota law enforcement officials hoping for a quieter summer
While the majority of people in Minnesota see the days of summer as the chance to relax, law enforcement officials in the state are warning drivers to be extra careful at this time of the year.
- Congress gives full support to eliminate Fourth of July drunk driving
Congress approved new legislation on July 2 that it hopes will lead to the elimination of drunk driving, which has for years been the number one cause of highway fatalities.
- New DUI laws take effect July 1 in Kansas
Beginning on Sunday, July 1, those in Kansas charged with driving under the influence will see tougher consequences for their first offense, including the installation of an ignition interlock device, NewsPlex reports.
- Washington driver charged under stricter DUI laws
A woman from Federal Way, Washington, was recently charged under the state's strict new DUI laws that went into effect the same day as the fatal crash investigators say she caused, KING 5 News reports.
- Trial begins in deadly Virginia DUI accident
The trial of a man accused of drinking and driving before he ran over and killed an 8-year-old boy earlier this year is underway in Virginia.
- New DUI law makes its way through New Jersey assembly
Across the country, repeat drunk drivers are increasingly seeing stiffer fines and penalties associated with DUI arrests in an attempt to keep such offenders off the street.
- New app helps DUI offenders learn their rights
A new app that has been developed will allow those who have been pulled over on suspicion of DUI to consult with their smartphone on the best course of action to take, and to find lawyers in the area, Cincinnati Now reports.
- Actress may have been involved in third hit and run
Actress Amanda Bynes was recently accused of her third hit-and-run car accident in the last two months.
- Lions defensive tackle arrested for DUI
Star defensive tackle for the Detroit Lions, Nick Fairley, was arrested early Sunday morning in Alabama after allegedly driving while intoxicated and attempting to evade police.
- California cops will be on the lookout for drunk drivers Memorial Day Weekend
California police officers recently announced they will be particularly vigilant about looking for drunk drivers.
- Athletes involved in DUI crashes
Recently, a number of people involved in the United States sports community have made headlines after being arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence.
- Repeat DUI convictions in New Jersey, Missouri
Despite threats of a license being revoked, fines and possible jail time, the frequency of repeat DUI offenders being arrested on yet another driving drunk charge is on the rise.
- Drunk driver and Chicago police car involved in accident
A man driving drunk on the streets of Chicago was arrested early Friday morning after colliding with a moving police car.
- "Lost" star arrested for DUI
Star of the former hit television show "Lost" Matthew Fox was arrested Friday morning for driving drunk in Bend, Oregon.
- Ohio man arrested for seventh DUI
A 34-year-old man was arrested for the seventh time Wednesday night in Elyria, Ohio, for drunk driving charges.
- Tennessee man arrested for DUI after collision with motorcycle
A 31-year-old driver with multiple drunk driving convictions was arrested Saturday after colliding with a motorcyclist in Shelbyville, Tennessee.
- Teen charged with DUI in Chicago car accident
A 19-year-old driver was charged with driving under the influence and held on $50,000 bond after a Saturday morning crash on the Southwest Side of Chicago left five people injured.
- DUI driver accused of killing teen released on bond
Sandor Guillen, 38, the man accused of driving under the influence and killing 13-year-old Kaely Camacho, was released on $205,000 bond this past Tuesday in Florida. The tragic accident took place on April 13, 2011.
- Southern California lawmaker arrested for DUI apologizes
In March, Assemblyman Roger Hernandez of West Covina was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol and has since apologized for the incident this past Wednesday.
- Tennessee Judge arrested for Driving Under the Influence
Tennessee state Judge Jerry L. Smith from Nashville has been arrested in Knoxville for DUI.
- Colorado cyclist arrested for driving under the influence
Shortly after midnight Sunday, Boulder police arrested a bicyclist under suspicion of driving under the influence after allegedly crashing his bike into an automobile and attempting to leave the scene before authorities arrived.
- Delaware State Representative charged with second DUI
Wilmington Police say that Delaware State Representative Brad Bennett was arrested last week for driving under the influence after sideswiping a cop car and fleeing the scene.
- Man accused of tanker explosion under suspicion of DUI
A man suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol allegedly sparked a fiery explosion on the Ventura Freeway after he struck a gasoline tanker truck, causing it to spill fuel that eventually burst into flames on the heavily trafficked roadway.
- Former child star arrested for DUI
Comic actress and former Nickelodeon star Amanda Bynes was arrested under suspicion of driving under the influence early Friday morning in West Hollywood, California.
- Man crashes into building, later charged for DUI for different accident
A man accused of crashing into a Krispy Kreme Donut Shop in Richmond, Virginia, faces additional charges of driving under the influence for a second accident on the same day.
- Underage female drinkers at greater risk for fatal auto accidents
According to the May issue of the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, the risk for underage female drinkers involved in fatal car crashes has dramatically increased.
- Tampa Bay Rays pitcher faced with serious charges after DUI incident
The Florida Highway Patrol have officially stated that Major League Baseball's former number one draft pick, Matt Bush, was arrested Thursday after allegedly being involved in an accident while driving under the influence.
- Former officer charged with DUI in Kentucky
Investigators of the accident say former Lexington Police officer Keith Todd, 43, was likely driving under the influence when he took his Mercedes onto the trail Wednesday evening, hitting pedestrian Penelope Bentley as she walked along the path with a friend.
- Installing alcohol interlocks may deter repeat offenses for new DUI convictions
A new study in Washington state by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety shows that people convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol for the first time are less likely to reoffend if alcohol interlocks are installed on their vehicles.
- Surveys show marijuana-impaired driving just as risky as alcohol
According to recent surveys, a growing number of teens are refusing to acknowledge the dangers of driving under the influence of marijuana.
- Mississippi DUI case attorney claims law unconstitutional
A Mississippi attorney will show his support for his client Darrell "D.J." Blappert by arguing DUI laws are constitutional in cases involving fatalities or injuries, the Sun Herald reports.
- Broncos running back charged with DUI
Denver Broncos running back and former first-round draft pick Knowshon Moreno has been charged with drunk driving and careless driving after police pulled him over in south Denver last week, The Los Angeles Times reports.
- Connecticut police arrest Yankees TV host for DUI
Bob Lorenz, the Emmy-award winning Yankees TV host, was arrested for drunk driving by police in Westport, Connecticut, on Wednesday, Februrary 8, after he was found slumped over the wheel in a vehicle that was stopped at an intersection.
- South Dakota lawmakers reject stiffer DUI penalties
On Tuesday, February 7, two proposals drafted to create tougher penalties for drunk drivers who hurt or kill someone else in a car crash fizzled out while in committee in Pierre, South Dakota, The Argus Leader reports.
- Super Bowl weekend leads to more DUI arrests in New Jersey
Although the New Jersey police gave plenty of warning that they would be out in full force over the Super Bowl weekend, departments say they arrested more motorists for drunk driving than the last time the New York Giants won the Super Bowl.
- Police increase DUI patrols for Super Bowl weekend
Police across the country are gearing up for Sunday's big game between the New York Giants and the New England Patriots, intending to crack down on drunk driving and pledging to keep intoxicated drivers from getting behind the wheel.
- Former Mississippi Governor pardons repeat drunk driver
As Former Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour made his way out of office, he granted almost 200 pardons, four of which were given to convicted murderers.
- Georgia state legislator says DUI offenders should get second chance
A new proposal has been submitted in Georgia's state legislature that would change the state's DUI laws back to what they used to be, when people convicted of driving under the influence could have their convictions dropped from their records after five years, NBC affiliate 11 Alive reports.
- DUI lawyers note rise in felony drunk driving cases
Prosecutors in Sarpy County, Nebraska, recently stated that it appears drunk drivers are getting behind the wheel more often, equating to a higher number of felony DUI cases, ABC affiliate KETV reports.
- New law prohibits vehicle impounds at California DUI checkpoints
A new law in California is making it more difficult for law enforcement officers to impound cars they detain at drunk driving checkpoints, ABC affiliate KERO reports.
- New measures would stiffen DUI penalties in Washington
A slew of new DUI bills that range from more use of ignition interlock devices to higher penalties for drunk drivers who cause a fatal accident were discussed for the first time at a hearing in Olympia, Washington on Wednesday, January 18.
- California sees record low DUI fatalities
California sees record low DUI fatalities
- Wyoming establishes new DUI task force to put ideas into action
After taking a brief hiatus, the Wyoming Governor's Council on Impaired driving has returned to actualize the ideas that were discussed at the council's last meeting into action to bring down the state's high DUI rates, the Billings Gazette reports.
- Colorado driver charged with DUI in New Year's Day accident
Authorities from Loveland, Colorado have charged a woman with drinking while driving after a man from Fort Collins left her vehicle while it was still moving and received serious injuries on New Year's Day, according to the Loveland Herald Reporter.
- California DUI checkpoint nabs 38 for drunk driving
On Friday, January 6, Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies took in 38 people at a DUI checkpoint that had been set up in Bellflower, the Contra Costa Times reports.
- Pennsylvania lawmaker supports ignition interlock devices
If a recent Pennsylvania bill supported by local law maker John Rafferty becomes law, first-time DUI offenders may be faced with mandatory use of an ignition interlock device, the Montgomery County Times Herald reports.
- New drunk driving laws come to Connecticut
While drunk driving has always been dangerous, now it will also be more expensive in Connecticut, the Weston-Redding-Easton Patch reports.
- Arizona relaxes first-time DUI offense penalties
Beginning January 1, first-time drunk driving offenders will receive a slightly less severe sentence.
- Michigan car accident results in ejected passengers
A release issued by the Canton, Michigan Public Safety Department indicates that on the night of December 26, a vehicle went off the roadway in Canton, which resulted in it colliding with both a person on a bicycle and a utility pole.
- DUI arrests creep up around holidays
Arrests made for people drinking under the influence (DUI) crept up slightly during the 10-day period before Christmas.
- Texas A&M football player dies in car accident
Joseph Villavisencio, a 22-year-old senior offensive lineman for the Texas A&M football team, recently died in a car accident.
- DUI charges filed against judge in Pittsburgh
Drunk driving charges were filed against Judge Randall Todd of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.
- Connecticut police launch "Operation Santa" DUI checkpoints
Connecticut State Police recently announced they have launched their 2011 Holiday enforcement program Operation S.A.N.T.A, in an effort to save the lives of motorists and prevent injuries during the Christmas and New Years holidays.
- Nebraska Governor issues statement about state's drunk driving
In a recent letter to the people, Nebraska Governor Dave Heineman discussed the new DUI laws that will take effect on January 1, and how they relate to the safety of Nebraska's drivers.
- New Nebraska DUI law to emphasize IIG usage
A new drunk driving law in Nebraska, set to go into effect January 1, aims to keep repeat offenders off the road, the director of the Department of Motor Vehicles announced on Wednesday, December 14.
- Majority of states use ignition interlock devices
Many states have introduced ignition interlock devices to keep repeat drunk drivers from endangering themselves and others by getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.
- Slew of drunk driving cases suggest system may be flawed
Drunk driving,South Dakota's most costly and time-consuming criminal offense, hasn't seemed to have waned despite the state's attempts to implement new laws to curb drunk driving accidents.
- Former Miss USA issued DUI
On Saturday, December 3, former Miss USA Rima Fakih was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving near her hometown of Dearborn, Michigan, on Woodward Avenue. Highland Park Police has confirmed they have charged the 26-year-old with a misdemeanor offense.
- Big changes come from new Kansas DUI laws
Earlier in 2011, Kansas enacted a slew of new drunk driving laws, which made ignition interlock devices (IID) mandatory for a first DUI offense, created a central place for data to keep a better record of drunk drivers' whereabouts and expanded treatment options for repeat offenders.
- DUI crackdown searches for drunk drivers in Colorado
As the holiday frenzy descends upon drivers in Colorado, the state's Department of Transportation, in collaboration with the Colorado State Patrol and local law enforcement agencies, plan to buckle down on drunk drivers.
- Drive hammered, get nailed in Arizona
Arizona drivers may want to heed the warnings of the Phoenix Police Department to stay sober or stay off the road this holiday season, with the major holiday crackdown being aided by a fleet of new trucks, motorcycles and undercover cars, according to Fox affiliate KSAZ.
- Park County, Wyoming sees benefits from new DUI laws
After a new DUI law was passed in Wyoming barring suspected drunk drivers' right to refuse a blood test, several prosecutors have benefited from the law in convicting repeat offenders in Park County, the Powell Tribune reports.
- Illinois state police to use more patrols over holiday weekend
The Illinois State Police (ISP) will be teaming up with local law enforcement agencies across the state to increase patrols during the Thanksgiving holiday, which is historically the busiest and one of the most dangerous driving periods of the year.
- New Tennessee law hopes to reduce repeat DUI offenders
A new law set to go into effect on January 1, 2012, hopes to keep repeat DUI offenders off Tennessee streets through harsher penalties, News Channel 9 reports.
- Washington police to begin extra DUI patrols November 24
Beginning November 24, law enforcement officials in Snohomish County, Washington, will conduct more DUI patrols and checkpoints that will last until January 2, the Marysville Globe reports.
- Fatal Florida DUI crash results in 13-year prison sentence
The children of Pamila Yoder finished a year-long trial on Tuesday, November 15, which ended in a 13-year prison sentence for the man convicted of killing their mother in a drunk driving crash, the Herald-Tribune reports.
- Avoiding the Dreaded DUI: Practical Tips on Protecting Your Rights
With Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays approaching, it’s not unusual to be offered a cocktail or alcoholic beverage of your choice. So the key is – how do you best try to make sure you cannot be convicted of a DUI?
- Connecticut lawmaker honored for sponsoring new drunk driving law
State representative Gerald Fox was recently lauded by the organization Mothers Against Drunk Driving for his dedication to pass new legislature concerning Connecticut's drunk driving laws, Norwalk Plus reports.
- Iowa officials want tougher reservation DUI penalties
Wilma Thin Elk, who lost her 13-year-old daughter in a drunk driving crash, has organized a memorial walk to raise awareness of the drunk driving problem that is rampant on the Pine Ridge Reservation, the Rapid City Journal reports.
- 'No refusal' operation doles out seven DUI charges over holiday weekend
In Kane County, Illinois, seven people were charged with drunk driving during a "no refusal" operation that law enforcement officials performed over the Halloween weekend, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.
- New DUI laws, expansions prove helpful in Minnesota
New DUI laws and expansion to current drunk-driving legislature that have been introduced in 2011 have proved to further Minnesota's reputations as one of the toughest states on drunk drivers.
- Stricter DUI laws shown to help curb Montana's high DUI rate
A slew of new drunk driving laws that recently went into effect in Montana are helping to bring down the high rate of intoxicated driving, and will enforce greater penalties on repeat offenders, the Whitefish Pilot reports.
- South Carolina police hand out DUIs for Halloween
With many parents turning their children loose to run around the neighborhood collecting candy on Halloween, the Myrtle Beach, South Carolina Police Department ramped up its efforts to keep the hundreds of children safe by keeping drunk drivers off the road.
- New Oklahoma DUI law to begin November 1
The Oklahoma Highway Safety Office has released statement urging state motorists to beware of the changes to certain DUI laws that will go into effect on November 1, 2011.
- Minnesota man suspected of 12th DUI, "miserably failed" sobriety test
A man from Richfield, Minnesota, was pulled over after police suspected him of drunk driving when he nearly caused a crash in Bloomington parking lot, Fox affiliate News 9 reports.
- Ignition interlock devices under question
Although the severity of drunk driving-related fatalities cannot be ignored, a popular measure used to deter repeat drunk drivers from getting behind the wheel may not be as effective as lawmakers hoped.
- Delaware DUI checkpoint nabs 16 drunk drivers
In one weekend, Delaware police departments across the state gave out 16 DUI citations at four sobriety checkpoints, with the help of two saturation patrols, Delaware Online reports.
- Bartenders attend alcohol serving training required by law
In Montana, servers, sellers and supervisors are lining up to take mandatory alcohol training courses, in response to a new DUI law that recently went into effect.
- New Montana DUI laws validated by recent tragedies
Jennifer Triplett and her father Jerome Klopatek are a living testament to the need for new DUI laws, they recently told the Great Falls Tribune, discussing the accident that left them both in the hospital.
- New Montana law trains bartenders to identify overly intoxicated patrons
The Common Sense Coalition (CSC), a DUI law advocacy group, has reason to celebrate, now that Senate Bill 29 has passed.
- Nebraska DUI laws to change slightly by 2012
By the time corn huskers ring in the new year, a new set of DUI laws are set to go into effect, with two major changes that affect repeat offenders and give more power to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the North Platte Telegraph reports.
- DUI checkpoint announced by California police department
The Redlands, California Police Department has announced it will conduct a DUI checkpoint during the coming Columbus Day holiday, the San Bernadino Sun reports.
- Pennsylvania Senator sponsors new DUI bill
Pennsylvania law enforcement officials are praising Senator John Rafferty's proposed state legislation that would require first-time DUI offenders to install an ignition interlock device on their vehicles, the Daily Local News reports.
- New DUI law goes into effect in Montana
On Saturday, October 1, a new law went into effect in Montana that authorizes the attorney general's crackdown on repeat DUI offenders, among many other new laws, The Associated Press reports.
- New Wisconsin DUI law would criminalize first offense
If new legislation passes in Wisconsin, drunk drivers may soon face stricter sentencing after their first offense, ABC affiliate WQOW 18 reports.
- South Carolina continues to drop DUI cases
In an effort to reclaim control of the courts and chip away at a massive backlog, South Carolina has reduced or dropped thousands of drunk driving charges, according to the Independent Mail.
- Two DUI arrests in one night for Pennsylvania man
A western Pennsylvania police department recently issued two drunk driving charges to the same man in one night, with the second charge arriving only 15 minutes after releasing him into the custody of a friend, The Associated Press reports.
- Breakdown in South Carolina's DUI system leads to disputes
In courts across South Carolina, more than 11,000 backlogged DUI cases have been cleared, per order by chief justice.
- Montana DUI task force meets to discuss new laws
While DUI-related deaths have fallen significantly across Montana in recent years, law enforcement officials believe even more can be done, including stricter enforcement of the state's new DUI laws, according to NBC Montana.
- California DUI checkpoints may be subject to stricter rules
If Santa Rosa Assemblyman Michael Allen manages to get his bill signed by Governor Jerry Brown, local police may soon face stricter rules in exercising their DUI checkpoints, the Press Democrat reports.
- New Kansas DUI laws go into effect
New traffic laws went into effect on Wednesday, September 14, in Emporia, Kansas, that can impose DUI offenders with higher fines, although it may also reduce their jail time, the Emporia Gazette reports.
- Minnesota DWI taskforce arrests 15 during drunk driving campaign
During a nationwide DWI enforcement effort, Carver County, Minnesota police deputies arrested 15 motorists on suspicion of driving while intoxicated.
- Washington state enacts new, harsher DUI penalties
The latest Legislative session in Olympia, Washington, resulted in some changes to existing drunk driving laws that would affect those accused of driving under the influence (DUI), vehicular assault when DUI, and vehicular homicide when DUI, according to the Kent Reporter.
- New Wyoming DUI law has its flaws
After a new DUI law was enacted in Wyoming two months ago, police officials and lawyers agree that although there have only been a few snags in implementing the law, it still comes with some annoyances, according to the Billings Gazette.
- Alabama introduces new DUI laws
After several new drunk driving laws went into effect on Thursday, September 1, many residents have shown their support for the measures, ABC affiliate WAAY 31 reports.
- Drive sober or get pulled over, Oklahoma police say
Police in Oklahoma will be enforcing the annual nationwide campaign "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over" in August and September in order to crack down on drunk driving and enforce DUI laws more strictly, CBS affiliate KXII reports.
- New DUI law more strict, but loopholes present
After a mother and her daughter were killed by a drunken driver who had been convicted of DUI several times before, Kansas state legislature drafted new laws that have been in effect since July 1
- New Jersey law enforcement agencies battle drunk drivers
According to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration, there were 583 traffic fatalities in New Jersey in 2009, 25 percent of which were related to alcohol-impaired drivers.
- Delaware to see tougher DUI penalties
In an effort to decrease drunk driving accidents, Delaware has installed new, tougher penalties aimed to keep repeat offenders off the road and possibly behind bars, the Dover Post reports.